Thanks to my friend Bridget and her host parents Ariel and Patty, I have been introduced to Silvio Rodriguez. This is his most famous song "Ojalá." The other day I listened to it like eleven times in a row while I was eating lunch. It's so sad. The Chileans say "cortavenas," vein-cutting, when songs are sad this way, which is one of those "as an American my eyebrows are involuntarily rising" things But it's true! It is cortavenas! There are all these beautiful live versions where he barely sings at all because the whole audience knows every word and sings it for him. He's coming to Santiago in May and I really want to go but tickets are kind of expensive so I'll keep you posted on that one.
Here's my translation of the lyrics.
So that they won't transform into crystal
I pray the rain will no longer be a miracle that falls from your skin
I pray the moon can move without you
I pray the earth won't kiss each of your steps
I pray that you're constant gaze will end
The perfect word, your perfect smile
I pray for something that will erase you now
A blinding light, a bullet of snow,
I pray for at least the arrival of death.
So I don't see you so much,
So I don't see you always,
In every second, in every vision.
I pray that I won't even be able to touch you in songs.
I pray the dawn doesn't fling insults that fall on my back.
I pray that this voice forgets your name.
I pray that these walls don't preserve the noise of your tired steps.
I pray that this desire follows you as you leave.
Following your ancient reign of corpses and flowers.
I pray that you're constant gaze will end
The perfect word, your perfect smile
I pray for something that will erase you now
A blinding light, a bullet of snow,
I pray for at least the arrival of death.
So I don't see you so much,
So I don't see you always,
In every second, in every vision.
I pray that I won't even be able to touch you in songs.
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario